I recently acquired a collection of older, simple 1.25" eyepieces. In this collection were some Brandons, a UO Ortho, EDS Ortho and various Plossl type eyepieces. I compared them while observing planets, and truly could not detect any difference in all areas with respect to image quality. However, what I could detect was a huge difference in comfort and presentation. The modern eyepieces were just far more entertaining and as such, allowed for more enthusiasm in practice making the experience far more engaging and productive thus seeing more. Within a week they were all sold off on A/Mart.

I have not though used these types of eyepieces while viewing DSOs, and I am positive that there is definite truth to the OP's testimony. Following the laws of physics, this just makes sense. The basic premise is always the same. To 'get' something more, you need to 'give' something more. The less glass light has to travel through, the less chance there is for optical corruption. You can even these disparities through engineering and design, but in the end there will always be some degree of compromise of which can be observed.

Eyepieces are some of my favorite inanimate things in life. Their importance in contribution to the focused image can NEVER be overestimated. The eyepiece is the 'interface'..or connection between material and flesh. Its interpretation is that of the entire optical system; including itself. This is where the subjectivity lies...