Thread: Eyepieces - Less glass is more

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    These comparisons of high quality eyepieces don't necessarily have clear cut results. It's a classic "your mileage may vary situation".

By way of example, at TSP the year Televue introduced the Ethos, Al Nagler was wandering the upper field with the Ethos 13mm in his pocket. Jimi, Mike Sowell, and I were using my 25" and Al came by and said "try it". We popped it in and looked at M13, were impressed by the contrast, and proceeded to compare the 13 Ethos with my 13 T6 Nagler. All three of us saw a clear improvement in contrast and brightness in the Ethos. We were impressed, to say the least.

After the Ethos 13 hit the market, I acquired one and used it extensively over a period of months, frequently comparing it to my 13 T6. The results? Maybe 1 object in 10 or 20 looked better in the Ethos, another one looked better in the T6, and the vast majority of objects looked pretty much the same in either eyepiece. In the intervening years, I've done the same comparison in the 18" and the 30" with pretty much the same results. No "aha" moment; just a lot of head scratching.

[

After the Ethos 13 hit the market, I acquired one and used it extensively over a period of months, frequently comparing it to my 13 T6. The results? Maybe 1 object in 10 or 20 looked better in the Ethos, another one looked better in the T6, and the vast majority of objects looked pretty much the same in either eyepiece. In the intervening years, I've done the same comparison in the 18" and the 30" with pretty much the same results. No "aha" moment; just a lot of head scratching.[/QUOTE]

Wow, my experience comparing the Ethos eyepieces to Naglers have been quite different. However, I should announce that this was comparing them to type 4 Naglers. I found the Ethos eyepieces to produce better contrast, sharpness, of course APOV..and in the end the greatest delta was in color neutrality. Objects just appear more 'color correct' giving the observer a greater sensation of observing unaided. I found them to be far better planetary performers as well due to this advantage. Maybe one day I will get a chance to compare them to a type 6 Nag.
    Obsession 20" f/5 Dobsonian #388
    Parks 8" f/6 custom Dobsonian
    Televue oculars