Thread: Colliding Galaxies and the NGC 5529 group

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Jimi,

the phenomenon that very weak galaxies at the edge of visibility appear much bigger than they are in reality i am having very often - even not having 48" ;-)

Some other observers i talked to experienced the same. Must be some kind of psychological thing. Worth having some research on it in my opinion.

btw: nice articles - thanks for the hint!

CS!
    Norman
    12" f/ 4,5 - tuned Sumerian Optics Dobson - Nauris main mirror
    - who stands the rain deserves the sun! -

Norman I see this phenomenon a lot. It would be interesting to know what is the cause is it real or a illusion?
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

Hi Jimi,

i am really no expert in this stuff - but it might be an eye-physio-issue. Kind of "inadequate stimulation" or something like that. A term of biology. Don´t know if it fits here, probably not -but putting the eye under pressure there might occur some kind of flashes e.g.. Is meant to be just an example of in which ways our body is pulling our leg sometimes. Shortly: kind of illusion, of course. But nothing personalized - it´s more a physio - so general thing i guess.

Could be that too much of the rods are stimulated in border-situations and pretend a bigger area. Maybe Reiner Vogel is reading here - could be that he has got some input to that phenomenon. Parallel to that it would be interesting to know what other observers say or have experienced. Is it really a general phenomenon or just with a few people?

I hope my english it not too bad to get expressed what i mean :-))

CS
    Norman
    Last edited by Norman; April 6th, 2017 at 07:39 PM.
    12" f/ 4,5 - tuned Sumerian Optics Dobson - Nauris main mirror
    - who stands the rain deserves the sun! -