In May of 2015 I attempted both of these from a dark site at a local star party. Please note "East coast dark" is like your dark site under a quarter moon.

6765 in Lyra is not like M57. Not at all. With my 18" at 230x, I found it to be faint and ghostly, challenging, barely visible direct, better with averted vision. . OIII helped to make it steadily viewable directly.

6881 in Cygnus was not seen. Or I saw it and didn't Know it....it's a tiny PN in a rich field. I spent some time looking. I didn't bother blinking the filter. So many other things to view on a rare clear night.

Fast forward to July 1 of 2016.
I do most of observing n my urban backyard where the Milky Way is invisible, and my eyes can't dark adapt due to streetlights. I do the best I can.

I revisited these two challenging PN's. I made sketches this time. I use a 5.5x8.5 spiral bound sketchbook for informal drawing. I have no artistic skill. The circles are drawn in ink with a 2" eyepiece, 6 to a page. Notes are written around the circle in no specific order or format. The light spots are spilled iced tea. Photos of the sketches were inverted for aesthetics.

6765 is just as difficult as before, even more so. This time it's only visible with OIII. It's mostly round with irregular edge.

6881 was easy to find close to the Crescent Nebula, easy to see as a faint star, but challenging to see as non-stellar. I had to use over 300x. The scope doesn't have tracking so sketching at this power is difficult, plus I need reading glasses. Luckily the scope moves smoothly even at 457x, without any stuttering or backlash. (And my stars are round!) 6881 was visible as a tiny grayish round nebula. I confirmed with SkyTools and google image search.

I hope to improve my observing skills. Like John Varley's car with square wheels, if I keep moving the corners will round off eventually.

Regards
Johnimage.jpegimage.jpeg