Hello, this is my first post here. I have been observing for about 40 years. My latest project is to observe open clusters that are not plotted in Uranometria 2000. A couple nights ago I observed OCL 486 from the Alter et al (1970) list of open clusters. It is a fairly compact group of 14th to 16th magnitude stars at RA 06h 53 04.2 and Dec +16 55' 39.0. It looks like either an open cluster or a distant globular cluster. It does NOT look like a galaxy, but somehow managed to be listed in the UGC, ZWG and MCG catalogues of galaxies, which give it a magnitude of 14.2 and dimensions of 1.23' x 0.6'. The UGC lists it as 3583 and notes that it may be a "galaxy system". A close examination of the object on sky-map.org shows a very small and faint galaxy at 06h 53 14.78, +16 54' 58.8, but this object is not large or bright enough to be UGC 3583 and the other "galaxies" in the "system" appear to be stars.

So the question is how did a star cluster get mistaken for a galaxy? A more intriguing question is this cluster possibly a globular cluster? I have searched the internet for more recent catalogues that may include this object, but as of yet have not found it listed anywhere. Any insight into this mystery will be appreciated.