Thread: Object of the Week September 23,2018- IC 311 One Strange and Unusual Galaxy

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Object of the Week September 23,2018- IC 311 One Strange and Unusual Galaxy

IC 311

Perseus
    RA
    03 16 46
    Dec
    +40 00 13

Type LSB Galaxy

Mag 15.0
    ----------------------------------
    The first time I looked at astro imager Rick Johnsons image of IC 311 all I could keep saying out loud was "what is going on here"! With its two dust lanes edge on it is a most unusual and rare type of galaxy.

Rick Johnson image
    IMG_0110.JPG

I had the chance last spring on a visit to McDonald Observatory to ask galaxy expert Dr
    Stephen Odewahn about this unusually galaxy. He said that it looked to him like a rare type of galaxy called an I 0 Peculiar. I ask him what would cause a galaxy like this and he said that he would guess it was some kind of merger.

SDSS image
    IMG_0108.JPG

I could find little research on IC 311 as it is not well studied. It was found by Lewis Swift with his 16" Clark refractor on October 10, 1888. I have not observed it yet as to the cloudy conditions I have had lately but am anxious to see if the two dust lanes will be visible. If you have observations of this galaxy I would really like to here about them.

If you like this type of dusty galaxy below are a few that should be visible now.

NGC 943- CET

NGC 7108- AQU

NGC 7722- PEG

NGC 7399- AQU

NGC 7625- PEG

NGC 7814-PEG AKA Little Sombrero

IC 1575a- CET

UGC 304- PSC

UGC 2469- CET

"Give Them a Go"
    Last edited by Jimi Lowrey; September 24th, 2018 at 05:21 PM.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM