Positioned conveniently in the evening sky this time of year, is the small planetary nebula Böhm-Vitense 5-3 (PK 131-05.1, PN G131.4-05.4) in the constellation of Perseus, the mythological hero.

The position is 01:53:03 +56°24'00" - that's just east of the border with Cassiopeia and about 5 degrees of arc due southeast of the mag. 2.7 star "Ruchbah" (Delta Cassiopeia) that, from east to west, is the second star in the the queen's W. Its also 6 degrees of arc north-northeast of mag. 4.1 Phi Persei.

Our object of the month was one of three planetaries discovered in the year 1956 by Erika Böhm-Vitense while investigating extragalactic nebulae close to the galactic plane.

This nebula is quite faint, appearing almost even in brightness on the POSS2 Blue plate, with only a hint of annularity. Its mag. 18 central star can be glimpsed.

blue.gif

On the POSS2 Red plate an elongated, central "void" is evident.

red.gif

PanSTARRS shows it as an even glow.

panstarrs.png

A few months ago I observed this planetary from the French Alps in my 14" SCT. Unfiltered, I could only pick it up with averted vision:

17mm Nagler T4: Visible with AV, a round, faint glow, even in brightness, no detail visible.
Is in the SW tip of a triangle with a mag. 11 star to the ESE and a mag. 12 star to the NNO that form the base of the triangle.

17mm Nagler T4, Lumicon UHC: Using this filter the nebula appears subtly brighter, a round, remains even in brightness.

17mm Nagler T4, Lumicon OIII: Using this filter the nebula remains a round glow of equal brightness but is visible without AV. The filter has a better effect than the UHC filter has.

Due to its faintness, I decided not to up the magnification. Larger scopes may be able to glimpse its subtle ring shape, perhaps even the central star.

BV5-3 1.jpg BV5-3 2.jpg

Click here to download the observing guide from my website.

Well, you know what to do! Get out there, find this little bubble and let us know!