Thread: The *real* value of eyepieces for serious deep sky observing...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A little late responding here. But I have always gotten the impression the ES designs for their 82degree eyepieces were more in line with the Type 1 and 2 Naglers in performance.

I would be interested to see how the ES eyepieces would fair against those models. However the 30mm is clearly trying to be competition to the 31 Nagler which is seems to fall short against.

Quote Originally Posted by Preston Pendergraft View Post
    A little late responding here. But I have always gotten the impression the ES designs for their 82degree eyepieces were more in line with the Type 1 and 2 Naglers in performance.

I would be interested to see how the ES eyepieces would fair against those models. However the 30mm is clearly trying to be competition to the 31 Nagler which is seems to fall short against.

The ES 30mm basically has less kidney beaning than the Nagler 31 (for those that are affected by eye placement) but the "slight" loss in contrast (I believe due to inferior coatings relative to the Nagler 31) is a determining factor when you are at the limits of detecting a DSO. Therefore, for those that push it to the edge, stay away from the ES30mm. For those who follow a more casual approach, the ES may not be the best but it will serve you well.
    Takahashi FS-128
    Astro-Physics Stowaway 92 (paid the deposit!)
    Sky-Watcher 72ED
    Borg 55FL