Thread: Object of the Week Mar 25, 2012 - Hickson 56 along with Arp 214

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I observed Hickson 56 and Arp 214 last April 22 under decent skies (SQM 21.20 and ok seeing) and made the attached sketch. Given the sky conditions it was more of a challenge to see the dark lane through NGC 3718 than it was to see all the members of Hickson 56 - I'd love to have a look at these fascinating objects under a truly dark sky! 3718 looked best at 243x and Hickson 56 was best at 408x. NGC 3729 on the right in the sketch looked about the same at both magnifications.
    Arp214-N3718, Arp322_Hickson56crop.jpg
    Howard
    30-inch f/2.7 alt-az Newtonian
    https://sites.google.com/site/howardbanichhomepage/
    https://sites.google.com/site/sprays...pemirrors/home
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope magazine

Definitely a fun group. In my 30", components C & D appeared as a single galaxy at lower power, only resolving into two separate objects above 400x. It's also worth noting that components B-E comprise Arp 322, part of the galaxy chains section of the Arp catalog.

Hi Alvin,

this is also a favorite Hickson of mine. And it was also one of the first ones that I had observed it with both my 14" 10 years ago and more recently with my 22" several times.

With 14" I could see the chain and distinguish some knots in it, though there was no clear resolution. If I recall it correctly, I could not see A with 14".

With 22", the chain is mostly resolved, with c and d forming a single clump under less than optimal conditions, same as in your observation. Under good conditions, c and d appeared separated. Very unexpectedly, A is the most difficult member in this group, even with 22". It is faint with low surface brightness and no clear core. This is very untypical.
    Reiner

22" and 14" Dobs on EQ platforms and Deep Sky Observing
    www.reinervogel.net