Fourcade-Figueroa Object

ESO 270-017 = Arp-Madore 1331-451 = MCG -07-28-004 = PGC 47847
RA: 13h 34m 47.3s
DEC: -45° 32' 51"
Type: SBm?
Size: 11.5'x1.4'
P.A.: 118°
Mag: V = 11.7, B = 12.2

Despite an total V magnitude of 11.2 (Carnegie-Irvine Survey gives V = 11.7), the surface brightness is very low so this is a tough visual object. It requires dark skies and probably a minimum aperture of 10 or 12 inches. Furthermore, due to a declination of -45.5° U.S. observers above +30° latitude will be fighting haze and atmospheric extinction, so a larger aperture is probably required. Perhaps a target for the upcoming Texas Star Party?

I was able to take a look at the Fourcade-Figueroa Shred 3 weeks ago at the OzSky Star Safari in Coonabarabran, NSW (-31° latitude). I was using a 14-inch f/4.5 dob (Zambuto optics) but knew it wouldn't be an easy object. After the observation I asked Andrew Murrell to verify my observation, as I knew he had observed it before. Here are my notes:

At 160x, an extremely faint, very elongated glow was definitely seen, particularly extending east-southeast of a mag 11 star. The very low surface brightness glow was "pointing" just south of a mag 9 star (HD 118087), which is 8' ESE of the mag 11 star (roughly the center of the Fourcade-Figueroa System), and extended ~2.5'x 0.4'. A short extension on the west-northwest side of the star was difficult to confirm but was marginally glimpsed. The mag 11 near the center forms the northeast vertex of a small quadrilateral (sides 1.2' or less) of mag 10.5, 12.5 and 13 stars. The faintest star is superimposed on west-northwest extension of the galaxy.

I'd very much like to hear from other observers who have viewed this galactic shred from either downunder (Les Dalrymple or Allan Wade?) or from southern U.S. sites.

GIVE IT A GO AND LET US KNOW!
Hi Steve,

I am glad my 14" scope was up for the challenge !!

As you could appreciate this target makes the list of "tough objects I want to observe" each and every year at Ozsky, which I have been doing for over 10 years. Consequently, I have observed it a lot of times from Coonabarabran (and a few other good sites) over the past 10 years. I have observed it on a couple of occasions in my 14" scope, many times in the 18" scopes, the 25" scopes and the 30" scope. I have never tried to observe it in anything smaller than my 14" scope although I am guessing my 10" scope, which also has a great mirror in it, might do it under good skies.

Even in the larger scopes I don't get much extra detail from it, other than the brighter central bulge becomes a bit more extended. Pumping up the power to around 300X to 350X helps improve contrast and also helps to extend the central bulge a little.

Cheers,
John B