Thread: Abell (Planetary) 5 and 9

Abell (Planetary) 5 and 9

Hey y'all,

Just wondering, anyone ever catch Abell 5 and 9? Those two are the only two in the Abell Planetary catalogue that I have never successfully observed. However, I have not attempted these two with anything larger than a 22".

I know that these two are probably not high in the sky at this season, but was looking back at my observing history and remembered that I am still missing these two.

Abell 5 (Perseus)
    02h 52.2m, +50 36', mag >16, size 134x121"

Abell 9 (Auriga)
    05h 29.0m, +36 02', mag >18.9p, size 40 x 34"

Note: Mag figures from Megastar.
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    FaintFuzzies.com
    Texas Hill Country

Did you know my homepage and the English written Abell project?

To make it short. I could see a glimpse of Abell 5 but no any sign of Abell 9.

To make it more detailed:
    Abell 5
    16", 100x, [OIII], NELM 7m0
    extremely difficult PN; after 30 minutes of observing I noticed a faint hint of light NE of the 14,1mag central star; somewhat elongated; unsure observation
    27", 113x-172x, UHC, [OIII], NELM 6m5+
    very difficult; with 113x and UHC a very faint disc is popping in and out of view around a central 14mag star; can not hold the glow steadily; with higher magnification (172x, 4mm EP) and [OIII] filter the round disc disappears and a faint laminar and somewhat elongated glow gets into the view directly SE of the star; not steadily visible and similar to the 16-inch observation an observation at the edge of visibility

Abell 9
    14", 200x, [OIII], NELM 7m5
    even under perfect skies not visible; difficult star field with many dangerous faint stars north of Messier 38; other observer also only suspected glow but could not hold or confirm the observation - negative result
    16", 225-360x, [OIII], NELM 6m5
    now with [OIII] filters from Lumicon and Astronomic - again nothing to see from the PN
    16", 51x-225x, NELM 7m2
    at the north edge of Messier 38; not visible without filter
    27", 293x, [OIII], NELM 7m0+
    only suspected; north of a faint double star, which is visible even through the filter; can not hold the glow; unsure observation - negative result
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Hey Uwe,

I actually remember seeing it a while ago, but totally forgot about it. Thanks for the link.
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    FaintFuzzies.com
    Texas Hill Country