Thread: Object of the Week,October 14, 2012 - Cassiopeia A SNR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawel_T View Post
    I saw it few hours ago in my 18" f/4.4 under 6.2 mag skies. Easy to detect at 143x (Denkmeier 14mm) with an OIII filter - looked like a thick arc with even surface brightness.
    Good to know Powel! Charts have been prepared, ready for attack tomorrow night if the weather cooperates!
    The Darker the Better!
    -------------------------
    18" f4.5 Obsession Classic #1934
    10" f5 Skyatcher Dob
    152mm f5.9 Teleskop Service
    Takahashi FS128
    SkyWatcher 120 f5
    Takahashi FS102
    Takahashi FSQ106N
    SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
    SkyWatcher ED72 Evostar
    Televue Naglers and Ethos

Cool object Howard,

better and easier than expected.

10", 143x, UHC, NELM 6m5+
    nothing without filter; UHC brings out an round plob in just the place of the brighter arc; a friend and I could hold the glow easily with averted vision; [OIII] to dark

16", 180x, [OIII], NELM 6m5+
    brighter arc already without filter; with [OIII] the brighter arc is visible as a curved glow with brighter and thicker E end; two stellar peaks; S arc not visible
    CasA.jpg

27", 172x, [OIII], NELM 6m5+
    bright even without filter; brighter N arc totally mottled with five stellar peaks; only detail from the S arc is the brightest spot, which could be detected as a very faint stellar spot; no laminar detail
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Quote Originally Posted by RolandosCY View Post
    Good to know Powel! Charts have been prepared, ready for attack tomorrow night if the weather cooperates!
    Weather 1 - RolandosCY 0!

We started out with excellent conditions at our high altitude site (1300m), with SQM readings peaking at 21.37 overhead in Aries. I had my best ever views of M31, M32, M110, M33, NGC 891, and Taffy 1 galaxies (OOTW Sept 30). Even the Horsehead nebula was detectable without a filter although Orion was just clearing the mountains to the east. Unfortunately, by the time I arrived at this object, the sky grew noticeably brighter (down to 20.90 in Cassiopeia). What's more, even with 18", a lot of objects (especially diffused ones) simply disappeared from the sky. I was totally unable to spot Cas I, and although I made a new, detailed sketch of the Taffy 1 galaxies (with the "hook" plainly visible), after checking them out again they just were not there! Later on during the day I found out from the local Met Office that a thick layer of high-level humidity moved in around 01.00 local time ahaead of a major low pressure system, thus reducing contrast considerably and rendering lsb and faint targets practically invisible. Oh well... We'll give it a go in two weeks!
    Last edited by RolandosCY; October 20th, 2012 at 06:55 PM.
    The Darker the Better!
    -------------------------
    18" f4.5 Obsession Classic #1934
    10" f5 Skyatcher Dob
    152mm f5.9 Teleskop Service
    Takahashi FS128
    SkyWatcher 120 f5
    Takahashi FS102
    Takahashi FSQ106N
    SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
    SkyWatcher ED72 Evostar
    Televue Naglers and Ethos