Thread: Object of the Week April 07, 2013 - A whiff of a Planetary: Longmore-Tritton 5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Reiner,

fine object that I have to revisit, thanks for the idea.

Under good transparency it was never a problem to see the PN as a very faint glow around the bright CS. I was also of the opinion to see differences within the glow. For me the eastern part was always a bit brighter. But it does not fit perfectly with the pictures.

I remember a lecture of Bernd Gährken about CS in PN for small aperture. Funny, but this CS is one of the few which is visible in binoculars

16", 51x, [OIII], NELM 6m8
    LoTr5.jpg
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe Glahn View Post
    I remember a lecture of Bernd Gährken about CS in PN for small aperture. Funny, but this CS is one of the few which is visible in binoculars
    That's the point and this is actually the main difficulty in observing this PN under less than optimal conditions: Separating it from the glow of the CS (not the true progenitor star, which is now a White Dwarf, but its bright G5 companion).
    Reiner

22" and 14" Dobs on EQ platforms and Deep Sky Observing
    www.reinervogel.net

I just noticed that I used the wrong link in my first post. The link goes to the discovery paper by Longmore and Tritton.

The paper about the bipolarity (shown by a spectroscopic analysis of the shells) is here
    http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/c...NRAS.347.1370G

Here's a figure from the paper showing the two excentric rings due to the bipolar character of the PN.

LoTr5 Bipolarity.jpg
    Last edited by reiner; April 8th, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
    Reiner

22" and 14" Dobs on EQ platforms and Deep Sky Observing
    www.reinervogel.net