Thread: Globular Cluster hunting -- in Barnard's Galaxy!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks, Jim, for posting the observations. The two globulars I mentioned (SC 6 and SC 7) in the post were discovered more recently than Larry's list, so are definitely different! The ones he included on the 2008 Advanced Observing list were discovered by Hubble and included in the 1925 paper I referenced. Hubble used Roman numerals designations, VI and VII, though let's call them H-VI and H-VII. Talk about confusing and misleading nomenclature. We have two different globular clusters in Barnard's Galaxy -- Hubble's H-VII as well as the new SC 7!

Here are my notes on H-VII from August 2010: 18": Extremely faint and small glow, ~10" diameter. I couldn't resolve the adjacent mag 16 star on the SSE edge, but the glow was definitely non-stellar.

I don't know if SC 6 and SC 7 are in SkyTools, but use the coordinates in my original post if you'd like to add to your large globular list!

---

I just noticed that the OB associations 8 & 13 on Larry's TSP list correspond with Hubble's V and X, which are the two most prominent HII complexes at the north end of the galaxy.
    Last edited by Steve Gottlieb; July 31st, 2017 at 04:03 PM.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel