Thread: Object of the Week, April 27 2014 - MAC 1242-1128 B/C/D -Collinear Trio of MAC galaxies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Challenge taken! I will give it a shot tonight if weather allows...
    The Darker the Better!
    -------------------------
    18" f4.5 Obsession Classic #1934
    10" f5 Skyatcher Dob
    152mm f5.9 Teleskop Service
    Takahashi FS128
    SkyWatcher 120 f5
    Takahashi FS102
    Takahashi FSQ106N
    SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
    SkyWatcher ED72 Evostar
    Televue Naglers and Ethos

Quote Originally Posted by RolandosCY View Post
    Challenge taken! I will give it a shot tonight if weather allows...
    Well, I did give them a shot two night ago. Zooming in to the correct location was a breeze thanks to M104 and a couple of distinct asterisms. But actually seeing them.... Well, that was another story. Initially, by exploring the correct area with my 18" and a Tak LE 7.5mm eyepiece (275x) showed emptiness. I did try hard though, and by continueing to stare (using my hooded vest to cut out all extraneous light) slowly but surely, a VERY VERY faint patch of light did materialize. At first I could detect this only with averted vision and only occasionally, but by spending a long time on it, I was able to hold it steadily with averted vision and very occasionally feel that there is something there even with direct vision. What I could see was a longish streak of very feeble light. I tried to draw it, but as soon as I sketched the (few) visible stars in the field the patch was lost. I had to wait maybe for another ten minutes before the patch materialized again, I observed it enough to have it clearly in my mind and placed it on paper. At no time could I break it up into the constituent galaxies. I did try to double the magnification to 550X but once I did I could no longer locate the patch, mainly because there were no nearby visible stars to focus on! Oh, how I wished I had a tracking platform! I did try to see it with lower power eyepieces but I failed, and while I did manage to see it (with averted vision only) with my 7mm Nagler at 294X it definitely seemed more, ahmmm, visible in the LE 7.5mm.

I have to admit that I was worried if what I was seeing was the combined light of any very faint stars that happenned to be there, but a check the next morning showed that no very faint stars existed at the correct positions that could be "combined" to show such a glow, so I am pretty confident that I did manage to see the -unresolved - galactic trio...

Mac1a.jpg
    The Darker the Better!
    -------------------------
    18" f4.5 Obsession Classic #1934
    10" f5 Skyatcher Dob
    152mm f5.9 Teleskop Service
    Takahashi FS128
    SkyWatcher 120 f5
    Takahashi FS102
    Takahashi FSQ106N
    SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
    SkyWatcher ED72 Evostar