Thread: New planetary nebula around tyc 2139-1802-1 ?

New planetary nebula around tyc 2139-1802-1 ?

Hi everyone

A Danish astroimager has spotted something in one of his shots near NGC 6820/NGC 6823. It's a small bubble centered on the star TYC 2139-1802-1. It's faintly shown in POSS II red:

tyc 2139-1802-1.jpg

The object is unidentified in SIMBAD. Could he have discovered something new? It could be a part of the big NGC 6820 nebula complex, but it looks very well defined around the star, and detached from the other nebulae in the area.

Clear skies!
    Thomas, Denmark
    Last edited by Astrojensen; September 15th, 2013 at 04:52 PM.

Hi Thomas,

The star is @ 19:43:33 +23d45m08s in Vulpecula, this is the POSS2 Red image, this is POSS2 Blue.
    It may be part of the larger complex Sharpless 86 / Lynds 135 to the SSW. In the Blue image G59.5+0.1 stands out 17' to the SW, a supernova remnant. There is another small streak of nebulosity 15' to the SE that stands out in Blue, @ 19:44:23 +23d35m05s, no designation for that one either. The nebulosity surrounding the Tycho star stands out in blue, too, so who knows.

The object is not new, as it is visible in POSS1 images (blue, red) but that does not mean I may not deserve its own designation.

This may be one for the Yahoo Deep Sky Hunters Group.

Cheers,

Victor

edit: I posted this to the Deep Sky Hunters, post #5366, as there is some more interesting stuff in the immediate vicinity..!
    Last edited by Clear Skies; September 15th, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
    Victor van Wulfen

clearskies.eu - Clear Skies Observing Guides - CSOG - Blog - Observing Log - Observing Sessions

SQM is nothing, transparency is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrojensen View Post
    A Danish astroimager has spotted something in one of his shots near NGC 6820/NGC 6823. It's a small bubble centered on the star TYC 2139-1802-1.
    Another interesting object in the area is IRAS 19403 +2258, a reflection nebula at 19 42 27.9 +23 05 15. The common identification for NGC 6820 is Sh 2-86, the large HII region surrounding the cluster NGC 6823 (the core of the Vulpecula OB1 association). But Albert Marth's discovery position and description ("F, S, R, bM") for NGC 6820 matches the IRAS object!

Here's the labeled image from the NGC/IC Project, which correctly identified NGC 6820 = IRAS 19403 +2258
    NGC 6820.jpg
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

Hi

I'm the Danish astroimager Thomas wrote about
    My name is Jacob Bassøe and i live in Copenhagen.
    I've been trying to get in the "deep sky hunters" group since you suggested it but it's taking a long time to get accepted in the group it seems.
    Is there any news from the "deep sky hunters"?
    Here's a link to the unfinished image where i found the object, it's a work in progress but shows the object quite nicely

Any advice and help will be appreciated

Thanks
    Jacob Bassøe

Administrator/Co-Founder Dragan's Avatar
    Beautiful image Jacob! And welcome to DSF!!
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Thanks Dragan

Hi Jacob,

Welcome! I posted on the DSH group and linked to this thread. If the nebula in your image is unidentified you were to first to report it..!

Very nice image! In the bottom left part are two pillars, both pointing north. They may be - or are likely to be - part of the same, large complex. Nevertheless, to the best of my knowledge they do not carry individual designations either. I spotted them in DSS images while searching for data, and included them with my post, along with two possible small reflection nebula in the vicinity.
    I can't tell if such "discoveries" will eventually lead to "new" objects with appropriate designations but regardless, this shows a lot remains lot to be discovered. There is plenty of room for amateurs to pitch in their finds..!
    Victor van Wulfen

clearskies.eu - Clear Skies Observing Guides - CSOG - Blog - Observing Log - Observing Sessions

SQM is nothing, transparency is everything.